Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Beulah's First 12 weeks

Beulah is 12 weeks old. I can't believe it! As I was putting away her newborn sized clothes, I was amazed at how TINY she was and how much she's grown! She's around 12 lbs now and growing!

We've decided that she has her daddy's facial features with my facial muscle structure and shape. She is very expressive, like me, crinkling her eye brows and nose. As you can see from the pictures and video below, she's got such a happy disposition and a smile that will melt your heart. The only time she's not smiling is when she has gas pain. Seriously, she even smiles in her sleep (see pics)! And, in the middle of the night when I change her diaper and put her back down, she's always flashing smiles. I think it's her way of trying to get me to stay up and play...tempting!

Speaking of playtime, she loves her floor gym, especially the hanging monkey. She laughs at him, the hanging bumblebee on her swing, and the ceiling fans. I caught her having a riveting conversation with the bee the other day. Too cute! She doesn't like tummy time too much, but loves her daily anatomy lesson. I start at her toes, and with my silly voices I tickle and name her body parts. As soon as I start, she starts grinning. We also say our ABCs and count while I work her legs doing the bicycle. This helps with her gas too. Fun and functional!

Beulah loves baths. One night she was pretty fussy, but needed a bath. The minute we put her in the warm water, she stopped fussing and started smiling! Bingo! Now we know! We've recently discovered that she has another comfort (besides baths, nursing or the paci), her snugglie. It's a miniature blanket with the silk edges that we all loved as kids. Her "Aunt" Carrie sent it for her, and we're so glad she did! It says "Miracle" on it. :) She loves to hug it and sometimes chew on it when she's tired. Personally, I'm hoping she'll find her thumb soon so that she won't keep waking herself up when the paci falls out of her mouth.

Recently we've been trying to work her towards a manageable schedule. She is super alert and doesn't like to nap. So, I've been trying to be diligent about having her nap in her crib with the lights low and the sound machine on like at night. But, I haven't quite been able to put her down awake and let her put herself to sleep yet. I am much more of a wimp than I thought I would be! Ugh! We try to include books and a song in our routine. I've heard that if you sing the same song each time it will trigger her sleep memory, so I have altered the words to the old church song "Beulah Land" to say, "Beulah Grace, I'm thankful for you. And through life, I'll hold your hand. Child, my love shall be eternal. Beulah Grace, sweet Beulah Grace."

She has the funniest sleepy time routine. First, she starts talking. (I wonder if this will continue when she gets older!) Then, she'll do the best Stevie Wonder impression you've ever seen, at which time we sing "Isn't She Lovely" or "I Just Called To Say I Love You." As she turns her head from side to side, with her chin slightly raised for effect, the back of her head rubs whatever she's leaning against, which explains the bald spot. However, the hair just below it has been well preserved, which makes for a classic rat tail. Nice.

She's sleeping pretty well at night. One night she slept 9 hours! The next night she slept 7 hours. Ever since then, she gets up once in the night, usually because of gas, and then goes right back to sleep. She's only up for about 30 minutes total. She's been sleeping in her carseat (at the recommendation of the pediatric nurse), to help with reflux and gas. She sleeps much better on an incline, but we'll need to make the transition to the crib soon, so pray for that! She would much rather sleep on daddy or while nursing on mommy. :)

Beulah has gotten to know our doctors pretty well. Besides her one month check-up, we've taken her to the pediatrician for "excessive" weight loss (1 week old), gas, reflux, congestion, and baby acne. Sheesh! We've kept them in business! Lately, however, we've been taking her to a chiropractor for adjustments. She went four or five days without a BM, and her gas was unbearable. After a week of being adjusted, she has had multiple dirty diapers EVERY day! And yes, one of them covered most everything in the nursery. Let's just say I took the diaper off a second too soon and she went straight to the bath afterwards. :) But, since then, her gas pain has been MUCH more bearable than before, and her bouts of pain are more sparse. We could not be more grateful. We've also been able to take her off the Zantac that the pediatrician prescribed! We're happy to have found Dr. Bagwell's help when we did! I think we've found our new "pediatrician"!

At 11 weeks, Beulah discovered that she can touch things with her hands and feet. She's not super coordinated yet, but she's having a blast figuring it out, and it's fun to watch! She spends a lot of time looking at her hands and feet, and you can just see the wheels turning. What's next?!

People have been asking how Pedro (our 7 year old Boxer) has been with her. He totally loves her! He's been really good about not licking her with his abnormally large, stinky tongue, even though it's obvious he wants to. He walks past and sniffs her, and she just watches him and grins. When we go for walks, he walks right beside the stroller, turns when it turns, and looks in at her every 10 seconds. It's going to be fun watching them as she grows. I have a feeling they're going to adore each other.

Some of these pictures you've seen, some are new, so check them out! The video is an example of the joy I feel with her every day. I am so thankful for this time with this precious little angel.



4 comments:

Niles said...

Facial muscle structure? Well, I always thought her ulnar and radial collateral ligament favored Andy.

medschoolmommy said...

I don't know, I think her annular ligament is much more like Michelle's, but those collateral ligaments definitely are Andy's. :)

Emily Fiore said...

Lilly had the same thing with the bald spot and a rat tail. We ended up cutting the rat tail about 6 or 7 months and it is in her baby book as her 1st haircut. :) But, now she has a head full of hair. :) I"m glad to see things are going well for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Milly LOVES our dogs. She talks about them more than she does anything. Sooooo cute. Beulah is absolutley precious-I know you already knew that, but it's nice to know that other people think so too ;)I love it when people brag on my kids! Yes, it gives me the big head, but as Mama's we're cheerleaders, too and when the team scores they get loud. SO do we :) Love You! Emilee