When I was little, silence scared me. I needed sounds to keep me company. Not creepy, random sounds that I couldn't control, like acorns falling on the roof, leaves rustling outside, or cars backfiring. (Hey! I'm from GA!) I needed people sounds. If I was busy, the radio was sufficient. But, since I am a visual person, I always preferred TV. We only had channels 2, 5, 8, 11, 17, and 36 back then. The fact that I can remember that is evidence that I loved TV. I knew what came on almost every half hour of the day and what channel it came on. I had my own personal TV schedule. I didn't always watch it while it was on, but it was nice to hear people talking and be able to look up to see them if I wanted to.
As a teenager and now as an adult, I have a very small library of movies that I like to pop in while I'm cleaning to keep me company; Ever After, My Best Friend's Wedding, Shakespeare in Love, Finding Nemo, Jonah and the Big Fish, etc. They are all light hearted, feel good movies, or as some would say "chick flicks". Our friend Ronnie always called them "U rated" (U=uterus). The sounds, the predictability, the feel...they all make me happy. It's an escape. It's a vice. When I was forced to be inactive during my neck injury and surgery, I watched every single episode of The Golden Girls. It came on three times a day, and I didn't miss it. Sure, there were other shows too, but Dorothy, Sophia, Rose and Blanch were my real friends. They were always there when I needed them to make me laugh.
When I was pregnant, I was home alone a lot on days when I was not subbing. I do NOT like being alone. I am an extrovert. I get sad when I'm alone, and get energized when I'm around people. So, while everyone else was working, I had the TV on. It was my friend. It entertained me, taught me, kept me connected with the world around me, etc. So, after Beulah was born, when I was going through PPD, the TV continued to keep me company.
Today Show--until 11 AM, NBC
Cosby Show--11-12 PM, Channel 8
Fresh Prince--12-12:30 PM, Channel 8
Reading Rainbow--12:30-1 PM, PBS Kids
Clifford the Big Red Dog--1-1:30 PM, PBS Kids
Curious George--1:30-2 PM, PBS Kids
Trivial Pursuit--2-3 PM, Channel 10
The Doctors--3-4 PM, NBC
Oprah (because there was nothing else on)--4-4:30 PM, ABC
Jeopardy--4:30-5 PM, NBC
Ellen--5-6 PM, NBC
Scrubs--6-6:30 PM, Channel 8
Deal or No Deal--6:30-7 PM, Channel 12
Jeopardy--7-7:30 PM, NBC
Wheel of Fortune--7:30-8:00 PM, NBC
8:00-10ish depended on the day--Chuck, Biggest Loser, SYTYCD, American Idol, The Office, etc.
You can see why this was a problem. The TV was on from morning to night. If I went into another room to do something, I even turned the TV on in there, sometimes for just a minute or two. It was a compulsion, and addiction. With a schedule like that, there's no time for a quiet devotional or listening to God (*sarcasm*). (No wonder I was depressed!)
As most babies do, Beulah loves the TV. She loves the sounds and moving images. There are certain commercials she will always turn to see, even if she's busy playing with her back to the TV. When she hears it, she turns and watches it. If I want to keep her busy while I try to clean or eat, I put in The Wiggles. She will actually laugh at Dorothy the Dinosaur! It cracks me up!
Sure, this may not be a problem now, but I can see how it could be down the road. Even if we're watching a "kid friendly" show, commercials are unpredictable and sometimes raunchy! Have ya seen the soft porn Hardee's or Victoria's Secret commercials? I mean, COME ON!! Those commercials come on in the daytime when kids are watching TV! And, Lord knows Beulah shouldn't be watching what comes on the TV guide channel! From celebrity gossip to Punk'd to Flava Flav and his brothel! ADULTS shouldn't even be watching that junk, trash, gross, nasty, yucky stuff!!
So, here I am complaining about what comes on TV. But, I have a choice. I can turn it off. Before we had Beulah, we went to some friends' house for dinner. Jeanne and David have two elementary aged kids. The TV was not on, and was not the center point of the living room. Over dinner they told us that they record a few shows that they feel comfortable with their kids watching, and edit out the commercials before the kids watch it! And, they always preview a show before they'll start recording it on a regular basis. In fact, when their oldest was around seven years old, they had a rare night where they watched TV while it was being broadcast. When the commercials came on, the kids said, "What is that? What happened to the show?!" They didn't even know what a commercial was!! We LOVED it! We talked about doing something similar.
I always admired my friend Anna because when I went to her house, her TV was NEVER on. From the time her baby was born (and probably before), she played classical or Christian music softly in the background. She also read her Bible while she nursed and prayed for friends and family with her infant baby. She would say to me, "Me and Hanney (Hannah) just prayed for you!" I was blown away!
My friend Deanna doesn't even HAVE a TV!
So, it's time for a change. After a long and happy love affair, I'm breaking up with TV. Today is our first day apart. I'm sure I'll watch a little while Beulah's napping, but I've downloaded a ton of children's Bible songs, classical music, and other children's music to play while she's awake. We may watch some game shows when Daddy gets home, but I want us to be more careful about what's on, especially now that Beulah's going to be picking up so much so fast.
I don't want to break up. I LOVE TV. Please pray for me to be strong. Pray that God will keep me company. Pray that I'll meditate on the things of God and spend my time filling Beulah's eyes and ears with things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8), rather than things of the world. I hope to keep up with the news via the internet. Pray that I won't plunge myself into a new addiction with the computer (which I have done in the past).
And, just for a laugh, this is Beulah's favorite commercial. Go figure! I'll have to let her watch it on the computer from time to time just to make her smile. :)
5 comments:
LOL...Golden Girls, Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Tom & Jerry (Jay still laughs til he cries watching as he & the kids call it the Cat & the Rat) 2, 5, 8, 11, 36, 46 and if we were lucky 69...Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and MawMaw's favorite and still mine...The Young & the Restless! Love Ya, Girl. Stay Strong!
Emilee
When we moved to Houston, Mark didn't have a job so we didn't spend the extra $ to pay for TV - you can't get any channels here w/o cable..I think it is the best thing we ever did. I get so caught up in shows that I probably would have neglected Lilly in some way if we had the channels. It did take some getting used to, so I sort of know what you are going through - I will be praying for you.
Girl, you can do it! I went TV free for 3 years and it is never, ever on at my house for Toby to watch. I selfishly have a few shows that I watch once he is in bed but I feel that the interaction you can and will have with your child instead of flicking on the tv will be something you never will regret! Having said that, Nana has a box of Baby Einstein videos for you for the little miss. I found those to be soothing when Toby needed a break and I needed one from him. But be careful... they are EXTREMELY addictive to the little ones!
When I did Beth Moore's Daniel study I fasted TV the entire 12 weeks and it was the most amazing time of my life! I loved not having the option of it for that period of time. I mean, I missed it some but it actually felt really good. I did let my kids watch it though. I remember the 2,5,8,11,36 and 46 shows too!!! Hilarious blast from the past. Okay, I have to ask....were you allowed to watch Dukes of Hazards? Or did Daisy's shorty shorts rule it out? I could watch it and I loved it. I had a crush on John Shneider (sp?). Okay, that was random and not the point of your post but you totally took me back to my childhood! ha! You should do regression therapy or something like that on the side....especially since you're gonna have a lot of time on your hands now! Ha! I'm kidding...okay, I'm done. See ya, bye!
Remember when ch 17 played videos late at night?! I remember my grandmother walking in to see Devo's "Whip It" video on and the look on her face! hehe You are braver than me! I can't stand for the house to be silent, so the tv is on most of the day. When I read your post I was alternating between doing homework on commercials while muting the tv, or watching a show while poking around on the internet. hmmmm...problem. Maybe while I'm praying for strength for you I should pray for myself! love you!
Post a Comment