Thursday, March 5, 2009

Things I didn't know about pregnancy

First of all, I have to thank all of my friends and family who talked candidly to me over the past several years about their pregnancy and birth experiences. While not everyone wants to hear all of the stories, I typically ask to hear them because I like to be as informed as possible. Of course, there are things you shouldn't say to a pregnant woman under any circumstance...but that's a different post. :) For now I'll just say that the knowledge I gained from hearing other women's experiences helped prepare me so much that there wasn't much I hadn't already heard. However, here are a few things that slipped by me.

I didn't know...

1. that your hips start spreading early in pregnancy. I went to the gym one day and couldn't fit into the pants I had worn the week before! I had to leave and go home!

2. that your feet grow at least a half size. From what I hear, they stay that way! I guess when we think of buying maternity clothes we can't leave out shoes! But, I have found that Dr. Scholls inserts help big time with arch support!

3. how flakey and dry my skin would be. It doesn't matter how much lotion I put on! I should just start wearing oil.

4. how bad "mommy mush brain" can actually be. I can send an e-mail reminding someone of something and forget it myself by the next day!

5. about "pregnancy miseries". As our high risk doctor said, "It's not intended to be a funny name. The pains are very real and can be intense. But, fortunately, they're typically not harmful."

6. that it's hard to talk to people about your birth plans because they have their own experiences (or know someone who...) that have permanently colored their beliefs.

7. that the dog I've had for 6 years, the one I used to think of as my baby, would absolutely drive me crazy during pregnancy! He has become the most needy creature. He sits across the room and just stares at me without moving. It's very unnerving. Apparently it's pretty common for pets to change their behavior because they sense you are changing.

8. that being a passenger in a car would be the most stressful event in my life. I KNOW I'm overreacting, but I can't help it! Whoever is driving never stops soon enough and all other cars are WAY too close to me.

9. about "placenta lakes" or that they can be "normal".

5 comments:

carrie said...

How bout the fact that you don't loose a lot of hair during pregnancy, but you loose TONS after you have the baby?!?! Crazy, huh?? About 3 months after Caleb was born I could (almost daily) sweep up a nice sized wig from my bathroom floor!!! Now (1 year later) the hair is starting to grow back and so I have all these short little spikeys everywhere!!!

Niles said...

I must be really pregnant. Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I got hives all over my legs during the last 3 months of pregnancy - that was terrible! But, I just want to say that after it is all over, you hardly remember the "bad" stuff and you (for most women) don't mind doing it all over again - isn't it amazing how God does that for us. :)

Emily Fiore :)

ramblings said...

i am an "official" follower of your blog now. I'm trying to get back into the blogging world. I started a new one: http://redemptionreapings.blogspot.com/

heather shelton said...

she is really coming soon! Oh I can't wait to see her little face. she is so deeply loved and wanted!!