When I was pregnant, this was one of the many questions strangers frequently asked. And, now that I have a baby, people still ask. I didn't think about the implications of the question at the time, but since becoming a mom, I've realized what a loaded question it is. A simple "yes" or "no" provides the interrogator with loads of information.
A "yes" tells them that...
*you can't fully understand what you've gotten yourself into, because you haven't been there yet.
*you're probably scared to death because you have no idea what you're doing.
*you will be walking around for the next several months like a zombie and your house will be a mess.
*you may not get a warm meal for several months.
*you will not shower as often or be as well groomed for a while.
*the dog's hair and breath will bother you more than ever before.
*the decor of your house is about to change, as is the amount of clutter.
*because of the clutter, you will likely start to dream of a bigger house and car.
*your cabinets and toilets will soon be locked down tighter than Fort Knox.
*what you play in your DVD player and on your iPod will change.
*you'll talk, sing and dance in ways that you never intend other adults to hear or see.
*needles (shots) will make you cry again like they did when you were a kid.
*your bills will increase and your priorities in making purchases will change.
*who you spend time with and what you spend time doing will change.
*your ability to "fly by the seat of your pants" will come to a screeching halt.
*you will turn into your parents.
*you will have to be intentional about maintaining relationships with friends that don't have kids.
*you will have to be intentional about maintaining a relationship with your spouse.
*your idol--SELF--will be exposed, as you're faced with the reality of your own selfishness.
*you will be humbled when you realize that you CAN'T do it better than EVERYbody else, and YES, that CAN happen to you.
*you will be on your knees for another person more than ever before.
*you will never care for, protect or defend anyone more in your life.
*your whole life is about to change...for the better.
(and most importantly...)
*you will have more joy and love in your heart than you ever thought possible.
A "no" tells them...you already know all that. Next time someone asks me, I think I'll say "no". Ha ha!
2 comments:
Oh, you nailed it Michelle! I got asked that a lot while pregnant with Patrick as I was able to go to most of my appointments BY MYSELF! Other new moms at the clinic were either 16 or 40 so it didn't seem out of place for others to ask me (at 39) if this was my first. It was entertaining to see the various reactions to, "No, this is number seven." The moms with their 16 year old daughters would give a nod and smile that meant "you and I know what she has gotten herself into."
LOL!!! I thought I was gonna die reading this...HILARIOUS!!!
Especially the part about becoming your parents...that's tough. I'll say or do something I swore I would NEVER do that's like my parents...OUCH. The best one was Mama always puts panties in my Christmas stocking-since I was born-I expect them. She was double checking the size and style last year and I said "the kind, high cut, low, you know like you wear"...HOLY COW I FREAKED out. Wearing the same kind of drawers my MAMA wears???!! I could not believe that came out of my mouth. She still gets me on it.
Emilee
Post a Comment