Friday, October 16, 2009

I've Got the Bug

No, not the swine flu. :) I've got the sewing bug! I took a sewing class in high school and did very well. We made everything from blankets and pillows to dresses and even a lined suit! I LOVED it! But, just like a language, if you don't practice, you forget some of the techniques. I got busy with other things and didn't really care about taking the time to make something that was easier (and quicker) to buy.

Dance was my only passion for 27 years. My excitement about dance started to die the closer we got to growing our family. I think there were several reasons why. 1 - because I was excited about something else; a baby! 2 - because we live in a part of the country (as opposed to NY or LA) where there aren't places close to home for adults to take classes, so I was out of practice (and out of shape!). 3 - because when you're not actively participating in your trade, the field tends to progress without you. 4 - I didn't feel right continuing to teach dance when I wasn't as passionate about it and felt guilty that I wasn't passing on the most current information or skills.

For the past two years, I have felt that I didn't have a passion (although, many people told me that adoption and growing my family was obviously my passion). But, the other day I went to Hobby Lobby looking for decorating ideas and saw that they have a "Project Inspiration" section on their website. When I went to the site, I got this crazy spurt of energy! I saw some sewing projects and thought, I could do that! And, that started a two week websearch for projects. For some reason, I got really excited about bags and purses. And, I was stupid excited when I saw that there were FREE patterns online! And, you can find video tutorials teaching different sewing skills! For the next couple of nights I couldn't sleep because I was dreaming of designs and fabrics and searching for patterns. I'm tellin' ya--it's GOOD to feel passionate and excited about something creative again!

When Andy and I got married, I sewed some things out of necessity. I hemmed clothes and curtains, and even recovered a couch!

BEFORE

Our TEMPORARY solution--an old comforter. I know. You're saying, "Whew, glad that was temporary!" Me too. (Notice the boom box, head phones and CDs...man, a lot has changed in the past nine years! iPods are so much more convenient!)

AFTER


I had bought Sewing for Dummies, probably got through page 20, and stopped. I haven't sewn since. But, last week I got it out again and am soaring through it! And, as I was thinking of things I'd like to make, I starting thinking about baby stuff. Then I thought, what about cloth diapers?! We wanted to do cloth diapers to begin with, but couldn't front the money for a full set. Making them wouldn't cost nearly as much! (Dana D., you would be so proud!) And, over time, with multiple children, we will save a TON of money--not to mention, the environment! And, guess what...there are FREE patterns for cloth diapers online too! So, yesterday I went to my multi-talented and green friend, Leslie's house and she made a diaper while I watched and learned. (Leslie, you are amazing! Thank you!) I have done tons of research on cloth diapers online (which I will share in another post), and am ridiculously excited about DIAPERS! I know that sounds crazy, but it's true! I also want to make nursing pads, wipes, burp cloths and diaper bags.

If you've been to our house, you know that almost all of our walls are blank and there are no curtains on any of the windows. We've painted the living room and kitchen and Beulah's room. That's it! No, we didn't just move in. We've been here for almost two years, but we thought it was better to spend our money and time on other things. But, now that I'm home and have this renewed energy for sewing, I want to make curtains, pillows, duvet covers...EVERYTHING!! (Can you tell I'm excited?!) It will be nice to create a more welcoming environment in our home, make gifts for people, and SAVE MONEY! Woo hoo! Praise the LORD for planting this desire in me. Now, I pray that He helps me to carry it out!

So, I'm off to blow the dust off the old sewing machine and oil it up! Maybe for Christmas I'll ask Santa for gift cards to fabric stores!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you, Michelle! I look forward to seeing what you sew! You did lovely work on that couch. I'll watch for Beulah's first stitches in three of four years! I'm sure you will enjoy teaching her to sew!

Natalie said...

that is fabulous! and how wonderful will it be to look around your house and have such pride knowing that you made the couch cover, the curtains, the whatever! yay!!

Mary Ann said...

This is awesome! As you've probably already gathered, I love to sew too. It has come and gone in spurts over the years. Thankfully, I'm back on a sewing spurt now. :-)

I've done clothing, bags, and some household stuff but have never recovered furniture. Wow!

That's great about cloth diapering. A friend of mine just started using cloth with her baby and she's been really happy with gdiapers so far.

Thanks for visiting my blog!