"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8
Watch this amateur video involving wild lions and buffalo. Don't worry, it is not grotesque. And, don't lose heart half-way through (like I did). The end will amaze you and hopefully speak to you like it did me.
The last time we went to Barnes & Noble, I stood in the teen section for a few minutes and looked over the titles and covers of the books promoted specifically to teens. My heart sunk. I wanted to cry. Satan's trickery and cunning ways were so clear to me in that moment. He goes after the young and weak. He comes at them from all sides and sets them (us) on a trajectory of devastation that only Jesus can thwart. But, we must be like the Buffalo. We can not stand for it! We must join together with our believing family and friends (Matthew 18:20), get on our knees, and FIGHT!!
As parents, it is our job to protect our young. We can control their environment to a certain degree, but we will never be able to shelter them from the full scope and consequences of the Fall. We have to rely on One greater than us; One who loves our children more than we do. And, so, we lift them up in prayer. John Piper says, "We pray to acknowledge our helplessness and God's omnipotence."
Of course, prayer alone is not sufficient. As parents we must teach our children to view the world through the lens of the gospel. With a gospel world view, our children will be equipped to fight with a sword in their hand. (For more on that, read Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.) We are, however, called to prayer on behalf of our loved ones. 1 Timothy 2:1, James 5:16
Ephesians 6:10-18
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Lately, I have been faced with the reality that I need to have more focused prayer times. As I write this, I speak not as one who has done it right from the start, but as one who will strive (with God's help) to intentionally lift my child(ren) up in prayer daily. We love Beulah more than anyone else (besides God). If we don't regularly lift her up in prayer, fighting the spiritual forces that hate her and want to drag her away from all that is good, no one else will. I want our prayers for her to be more proactive rather than reactive.
What should I pray? I will pray scripture. I will pray for her the way Paul prayed for and admonished the Church--those he loved and led spiritually. Here are some examples.
Ephesians 1:17-19
Ephesians 3:16-21
Philippians 1:9-11
Colossians 1:9-12
Philemon 6
2 Thesslonians 1:11-12
1 Corinthians 13
Colossians 3: 12-17
Galatians 5:22-26
I've considered choosing one passage a month and praying those verses for her daily, along with some of the prayers below, many of which were inspired by what I've seen in The Case for Kids by Paul David Tripp and Tedd Tripp.
I pray that Beulah will...
*see that God is worthy to be praised above all else (Isaiah 46:9-11).
*have a hunger for the Word and meditate on it day and night (Joshua 1:8).
*love the Lord our God with all her heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12;30).
*be compelled to love others (her neighbors) because of God's love and sacrifice for her (2 Corinthians 5:14).
*live knowing that her worth and her value rest in Christ. Her peace, joy and identity do not come from how others feel about her, a job, material possessions, etc. When life proves difficult, her foundation will not be rocked because she is grounded in Christ, not things or people.
*realize that she can't earn God's love and favor. It is a gift of grace given to her from the foundation of the world, before she was even born (Psalm 139:13-16).
*live to love and serve Him for the praise of His glory, not her own (Ephesians 1:12).
*face life's challenges with a gospel world-view, causing her to respond in a manner that glorifies the LORD.
*look to Jesus, her Redeemer, when she needs supernatural help to do His will.
*be aware that she has an enemy (the devil), but know that God is greater (1 John 4:4).
*trust in God's sovereignty.
*use her God given gifts to edify the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 14:12).
*view authority (God's, ours, her future spouse-whom we pray for now, etc.) as a blessing and protection.
From A Mother’s Heart by Jean Fleming
"As I feed the children, I pray God will nourish their souls; as I bathe them I pray they will experience the spiritual cleansing Christ provides; as I dress them I pray they will be clothed in righteousness."
What are some specific verses or prayers that you pray for your children? Please share!
5 comments:
The video is an amazing example for us in many ways. Not only in protecting and praying for our children but how, as Christians, we should gather round and help each in times of physical need but also when we are fighting temptation. WOW! Thanks for finding and sharing that video.
I know that in the lives of my own children, God has given me specific verses at specific times in their lives that I have prayed for them. This writing is a great reminder to continue to pray for my family, but now it is also important to specifically included the individual needs of my individual grandchildren. Praying for all of you is an honor, blessing and blessed responsibility! I love you!
Hey Michelle I just wanted to share the blessing that we speak over our children.
May the Lord bless you(child's name) and keep you may the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you! May the Lord lift up his continence to you and give you peace. I have recently read a book where it describes the importance of speaking blessings upon our children.
Thanks so much for sharing you heart. It is a true blessing reading your blog!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This video you used is incredible. Like you, I almost stopped watching half way through. I thought, "why did Michelle put this up here!?" Thankfully I did watch and by the end found myself covered in chills. I was moved by the people who kept commenting, "Oh, they're too late." Too often we can fall into this mindset. I've seen it happen to teenagers. It's never too late for Christ. We should not stop trying. We should not give up the fight.
I have prayed that Micah would know the Lord from the time he was in my arms...probably before that...because I just knew it was going to be a battle. At 4 he said "God, I'm sorry for the bad things I do. Please ask Jesus to live in my heart. Amen." I have been guilty of not really praying for the Holy Spirit to work...He's there, after all...and I guess at such a young age (5), I forget.
Recently I've begun to pray that the Holy Spirit would swell inside of him and daily fight against his raging, stubborn and VERY strong will...b/c I can't do it by myself. I'd end up screaming and crying all day long.
I know that He who lives inside of my son is greater than the will he was born with...and I need to remember that and TEACH Micah that.
Love you.
Post a Comment