Monday, October 12, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name?

Long before the kids come, you dream about what you will name them. In our six years of waiting, we threw around tons of names, but never settled on any of them. It wasn't until the night before we found out that Beulah would be a girl that we settled on her name. You can read the story of how we came to that decision and the significance of her name here.

But, the other day, I picked up an old baby name book that I got when we first started TTC (trying to conceive) to see if Beulah was in there. The index took me to a section called "So Far Out They'll Probably Always Be Out". What? I think I'm offended! Well...maybe not. I mean, we knew when we picked it that every Beulah we'd heard of was either 90 or dead. We were excited about the fact that there wouldn't be a ton of Beulah's in her classes at school. And, most of the reactions we got when we revealed her name were positive. One friend even said that she wished it was her name! Now that's a compliment!

But, this is what the book said.
When you talk about baby names, there are two words that are very risky to use: always and never. After all, in the first edition of this book, we stated firmly that two names that would never come back were Raymond and Murray. Well, since then, two hip medial stars--Jack Nicholson and Lisa Kudrow--have used them for their sons, and others have resurrected such long-slumbering selections as Clara and Ella and Lorraine and Renee and Zelda and Wolfgang, just as Elijah and Isaiah and Abigail are making their way up the popularity charts, and we have a nonmouse movie star named Minnie. Nevertheless, although it is with some trepidation, we submit the following list of names we're pretty sure are so far out they'll never come back as baby names. Just don't remind us of what we said when Hester and Herman make it to the top of the list in the year 2020.

Well, I hate to tell ya, Linda and Pamela, but my mom, brother-in-law, and neighbor's names are all on that list! (OK, maybe I am a little defensive.)

At the doctor's office, the nurse asked us how we came up with the name Beulah. We explained that it came from Isaiah 62. Afterwards, she called her "Bella" several times. Then she said, "I keep calling her Bella, but it's Beulah, isn't it? I think I like Bella, but I respect Beulah." Ha ha! Andy and I quote that to each other anytime we need a good laugh.

Parents.com did a survey asking parents, "Do you regret giving your baby the name you did?"
91% No, I still love it.
3% Now that we have a nickname, I like it better.
6% I'd have chosen something different in hindsight.

I have to say, I'm with the 91%.

4 comments:

lindsay said...

i have loved her name since you announced it and think it suits her to a tee! :-) it's classic and sweet.

Lucy Brazzell said...

Beulah and Burns will always be the only ones in their classes with their names. I like that. I always get asked where Burns' name came from and I am proud to say it came from 2 of the greatest women I know/knew- my great grandmother who will be 99 in March and my wonderful mom in heaven smiling down on us!!!! Love you and Beulah!!!!!

Danielle said...

so i might be a little bias as well but i have LOVED that name since you told it to me. she has a story of her parents finding her name in scripture, talk about the right way to start! i cant wait to see a little 5 year old beulah telling her classmates about her name and i cant wait to scream it out at her dance competitions or volleyball games (or both i am willing to compromise (: )

Anonymous said...

This post gave me chills. When we had our 2 Sam (Sammy Andrew) is certainly not a popular name, but I wanted him named after his Daddy & Granddaddies, so we never gave it a second thought. Milly had LOTS of negative 'publicity' about that name, but I said if I had a girl I would honor my precious grandmother-Mildred Lee, so Milly it was. Grace is also VERY significant in her name, because it is by the Grace of God she's here with all the complications I had with her II Cor 12:9-10 became my best friend. I had a lady ask me what I her name was and I told her and she said "she doesn't look like an old lady to me"...steam came out my ears I was sooo mad. I Love my 2 gifts and LOVE their 'significant' names. Beulah is BEAUTIFUL & different and she'll have a story to tell about why she was named Beulah-most just say 'because Mom & Dad liked it'...
Love Ya, Girl!!
Emilee